Director, Adolescent DBT Program; Director, Child and Adolescent CBT Psychology Program
(Emphasis Area: Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
Dr. Claudia Avina is a bilingual/bicultural licensed clinical psychologist specializing in the treatment of children and adolescents. She has extensive training in the use of cognitive-behavioral therapies for children and adults. Her post-doctoral clinical training specialized in the treatment of childhood trauma and adolescent self-harm. She received additional postdoctoral training at the UCLA Youth Stress and Mood Clinic providing specialized interventions to depressed and suicidal adolescents. She previously served as an Assistant Professor at Pepperdine University.
Dr. Avina has significant clinical research experience as she worked on numerous studies evaluating the effectiveness of psychotherapies for suicidal adolescents. Most recently, she has served as the Project Director on the Collaborative Adolescent Research on Emotions and Suicide (CARES) Study, a multi-site, randomized clinical trial of DBT with adolescents, in collaboration with Dr. Marsha Linehan at the University of Washington. She has published in the areas of adolescent suicidal behavior, interventions for child trauma, risk factors for sexual assault, and human sexuality. She specializes in the application of CBT to treat anxiety and mood disorders in children and adolescents, as well as adolescent suicidal and self-harm behaviors. Additionally, Dr. Avina has been involved in teaching mental health providers in the use of empirically-based interventions for the treatment childhood and adolescent problems.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Adolescent Suicide and Self-Harm Behavior
- Child and Adolescent Trauma
- Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
- B.A., University of California, San Diego
- M.A., University of Nevada, Reno
- Pre-doctoral Internship, Veteran’s Administration Long Beach Healthcare System
- Ph.D., University of Nevada, Reno
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center